A Simple Dome for Dome Skylight Replacement Isn’t the Best Option.
However, sometimes it’s the only option.
- An HOA or neighborhood association may require a dome skylight.
- To match other existing skylights.
- It’s a custom size or shape.
The benefits of a glass skylight:
- Standard sizes are less expensive. We do not sell the “cheap” acrylic dome skylights often found in box stores. Only quality American made skylights.
- Standard sizes are typically in stock. Three days versus three weeks for an acrylic dome.
- Glass offers a clear sky view. It does not fade in color or become hazy.
- Low E³ glass is far superior in energy efficiency compared to acrylic glazing.
- Glass is quieter. Transmits as much as 50% less external noise.
Built in 1913, this residence in Denver’s Congress Park neighborhood had a hail damaged acrylic dome skylight.
The owner’s went with a simple dome for dome replacement. We supplied and installed a quality American Skylights bronze over clear skylight to “match” the existing skylight.
Still, quite an improvement.
Besides the damage, the new skylight is much clearer. It also has a quality, thermally broken frame providing much better energy efficiency than the older one.
Peace of Mind!
- Skylight Specialists, Inc. warrants our workmanship for five years.
- Five year manufacturer’s warranty.
What Is a Curb Mounted* Skylight?
The skylight is then dropped over the curb—much like the lid of a shoe box—and attached from the outside.
*Required for roof slopes LESS than 3/12 (14°).