VELUX Curb Mount Skylight Replacement with Clean, Quiet, Safe Glass.
Curb mount skylights are the most common of all skylights in the Denver metro area. Typically, acrylic domes around 2′ x 4′.
And typically energy inefficient, noisy, and susceptible to hail damage.
Two clusters of four acrylic dome skylights.
This residence, built in 1966, on Sunset Drive in Cherry Hills Village had some problem skylights. They were well beyond their useful lifespan.
- The seals had failed.
- The acrylic was faded, hazed and downright ugly.
- Very poor energy efficiency.
- Poor sealant technology, but the best they had at the time.
Sunset Drive was settled by Denver’s leading socialites including President Roosevelt’s and President Truman’s family members, Ethel Merman, and numerous Who’s Who of Denver.
A roof replacement spurs a curb mounted skylight replacement with clean, quiet, safe glass.
Both sets of cluster skylights were located on sections of flat roof. This means that curbs are required to raise the skylights above the roof. The roof replacement allowed us to modify the curbs with the assurance that there would be no flashing issues.
Modifying the curbs:
The first step was to remove the old skylight. We then raised the interior edges of the curbs. This will slope the new glass skylights away from the center of the cluster. Drainage to the outside is improved.
The slope will also let the Neat® glass technology come into play. There are two parts to this technology:
- A super smooth surface allows water to sheet off—dramatically reducing water spots.
- A special coating, under the sun’s rays, loosens organic deposits (think bird doo-doo ) and allows them to be washed away in the next rain.
The curbs were then flashed (sealed) and the interior trim completed. Ready for the new skylights!
Install the skylights:
The next step was to attach the new VELUX FCM 4646 skylights. And admire the new sky view!
Third Step: Peace of Mind!
- Skylight Specialists, Inc. warrants our workmanship for five years.
- Ten year Warranty from Velux.
- Energy Star rated. Energy savings can pay for the skylight in a few years.
What Is Clean, Quiet and Safe Glass?
Neat® glass coating keeps your skylights cleaner longer, leaving skylights virtually spotless!
Reduce unwanted outside noise by up to 25% less than a standard double pane glass, and up to 50% less than a plastic skylight.
VELUX recommends and building codes require laminated glass for out of reach applications.